What is WaterMatch?
The purpose of the CH2M HILL WaterMatch initiative is to promote the beneficial
reuse of municipal effluent for industrial and agricultural use at a grassroots level on a global
basis. This is a non-commercial initiative in which no fees will be required for
participation by users or collaborating partners.
WaterMatch comprises the following elements:
- WaterMatch Website and Linking “Matching Map”: An online map application
enables industrial and agricultural users to locate nearby municipal wastewater treatment plants
(WWTPs) as a potential solution for site-specific water resource needs. Basic municipal
WWTP location information is entered by CH2M HILL on the WaterMatch Map from government
databases and other credible sources. Municipal facility profile information is
submitted by individual WWTPs.
- WaterMatch Social Network Connections: The Matching Map enables
personnel who work in municipalities, industries and agriculture to find, connect, and collaborate
with each other on a local basis.
- Case Studies and Technical Documents: Case studies of successful
beneficial reuse projects and references to technical how-to papers are highlighted on the WaterMatch
Win – Win – Win: Benefits to Communities, Environment and Business
When municipal effluent is reused by industries or agricultural, there are numerous benefits to
communities and the environment:
- Economic benefits: when industries or agriculture use municipal effluent, they are typically willing to provide funding for advanced treatment and for the water itself.
- Reuse promotes the sustainability of cities and health of communities – particularly in developing countries.
Industries and Agriculture:
- When industrial and agricultural freshwater use is reduced, freshwater supply for human use and/or ecosystems is increased.
- Municipal effluent offers a secure source of relatively good quality water.
Tell us about a WaterMatch
that you’ve made and we’ll share the success here. For
each WaterMatch made, CH2M HILL will donate $25 to Water For People.
Water For People and CH2M HILL’s WaterMatch share a similar objective: bringing people and water
together through sustainable water infrastructure.